Bloomington Public Schools wants every student to have a safe and comfortable ride to and from school. Please see the following tips for safety around the bus and our bus safety rules.
Please review rider responsibilities and safety guidelines
. If crossing the street or roadway is necessary, follow these procedures:
To the Bus
- Wait at least three feet from the road or street surface until the bus comes to a complete stop.
- Be sure the red lights at the top of the bus are flashing and the stop arm is extended. Watch for an indication from the driver (e.g., a nod or a hand signal) that it is "okay" to cross. Be sure to check both ways before crossing.
- Cross about five paces or 10 feet in front of the bumper so the driver of the bus can see you.
To ensure each student reaches their destination on time, please review the following tips and guidelines.
- Familiarize your child how he/she reaches the bus stop from home and back home from the stop.
- Make sure that your child knows his/her address and phone number.
- For younger students, make sure their name and address are written down somewhere inside their backpack.
- Have your student arrive at the bus stop 5 minutes BEFORE the stop time. The bus may arrive as late as 5 minutes after the scheduled stop time, especially during the first week of school, or when roads are snowy and slippery.
- Please also review these responsibilities and safety guidelines.