You are here
When your child is ill
Should my child stay home from school?Parents and students frequently have questions about when it is appropriate to stay home from school because of illness. Please keep your child home from school if he or she has experienced...
- a temperature of 100.0 degrees or higher in the past 24 hours (without the use of fever reducing medication)
- vomiting or diarrhea within the past 24 hours
- a new, undiagnosed rash
- pus-like eye drainage
- symptoms of severe illness such as unusual fatigue, uncontrolled cough, and difficulty breathing
- feeling ill enough that he or she would not be able to benefit from being at school
Please contact your school's health office if you have questions. You can also refer to the brochure Is My Student Well Enough to go to School?
Contacting Parents and Guardians
If your child becomes ill at school and needs to go home, Health Services staff will attempt to contact the parent or guardian listed through the parent portal.
- The additional designated emergency contact will be contacted if we feel your child needs to go home and we are unable to reach a parent or guardian.
- Your child will not be allowed to leave the school with someone other than who is listed .
- Your child will not be allowed to leave school without contacting and verifying with an adult.
- 911 will be called in the event of a medical emergency. The school will then attempt to make contact with the parent or guardian listed.
If your child has been diagnosed with a health condition, please contact the school's health office to discuss when your child will be able to return to school.
Please refer to the Infectious Diseases in Childcare Settings and Schools for more information on specific health conditions and exclusion guidelines for the specific communicable conditions such as...
- strep throat
- fifth disease
- many other conditions
Absences must be reported to the school to be considered an excused absence. Report your child's absence each day your child is ill by calling the attendance line at the school. Please report the child’s name, teacher or grade and reason for the absence. If your child is ill, report the symptoms and/or any diagnosed communicable condition.
Please contact the school Health Office if your child has any injury or illness that will require modifications in his or her school day prior to returning to school.
If your child is absent and the school has not received notification of the absence, the school will send an automatic messge to the contact entered through the parent portal.
School Attendance Lines
Hillcrest Community School
Indian Mounds Elementary School
Normandale Hills Elementary School
Oak Grove Elementary School
Olson Elementary School
Poplar Bridge Elementary School
Ridgeview Elementary School
Valley View Elementary School
Washburn Elementary School
Westwood Elementary School
Oak Grove Middle School
Olson Middle School
Valley View Middle School
Jefferson High School
Kennedy High School