Computer Science Immersion programs in BPS provide a deeper dive into computer science. The computer science Immersion program provides opportunities for students to learn computer science in the context of other subject areas, exemplifying computer science’s vast impact on all disciplines. This unique program serves students from five BPS schools: Indian Mounds Elementary, Poplar Bridge Elementary, New Code Academy Elementary, Olson Middle School, and New Code Academy Middle School.
What is different about the Computer Science Immersion experience?
- Students receive 1 hour of computer science instruction that is co-taught by a Computer Science teacher and the classroom teacher.
- All teachers and staff receive training on computer science tools, concepts, and practices and work to integrate computer science into other disciplines.
- Students take 2 quarters of Computer Science each year in addition to the following integrated courses
- Health & CS (6-8th grade)
- Art & CS (6-8th grade)
- Social Studies & CS (6th grade)
- Language Arts & CS (7th grade)
- Science & CS (8th grade)
Bloomington Public Schools believes that computer science is a new literacy for the 21st century. “In our new digital age, students must be able to do more than simply use a computer; they must understand how computers and algorithms work, explore potential applications and impact, and develop the skills required to creatively use this knowledge to solve real-world problems.” (csinsf.org)
- All BPS students engage in at least 2 CS experiences per year. These experiences will be led by each school’s Technology Integrationist
- All students receive 1 quarter of the exploratory course “Computer Science and Technologies” in grades 6-8
Goals of Bloomington’s high school computer science program:
- Offer both introductory and AP courses as well as a variety of courses which allow students to pursue areas of interest.
- Broaden participation, to represent the student population as a whole.
- Strengthen and apply knowledge and skills, in order to engineer solutions to real-world problems.
What Computer Science courses are offered in BPS?
Introductory & Foundational Courses:
- Exploring Computer Science (1 trimester)
- Computer Science Principles (3 trimesters)
- AP Computer Science Principles (3 trimesters)
Areas of Exploration:
- Advanced Programming: AP Computer Science A (3 trimesters)
- Data Science (1 trimester)
- Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning (1 trimester)
- Cybersecurity (1 trimester)
- Robotics (1 trimester)
- Web Design and Development (1 trimester)
- App Design and Development (1 trimester)
- Video Game Design and Development (1 trimester)
- Genius Bar
- COMING IN 2022-2023: internships in computer science at Target Headquarters
Additionally, Bloomington continues to build partnerships with the local tech industry to provide opportunities for students who are passionate about computer science. Currently a program is being developed for students who have taken computer science courses to participate in a mentorship program during the school year with Target computer scientists and have the opportunity to join a paid internship program at Target headquarters in the summer. Look for more details about this great opportunity in the 22-23 school year.
Bloomington strives to give computer science exposure to all while also providing opportunities for students who are passionate to dive deeper.
|After-school opportunities||Summer opportunities|
|Elementary||Community Education catalog||Check back in Spring 2022|
Robotics (VVM only)
|Check back in Spring 2022|
Jefferson High School Clubs and Activities
Kennedy High School Clubs and Activities
Tech department internship program
CS education internship program