Should my child stay home from school?
Please keep your child home from school if they have experienced...
- an oral temperature of 100.0 degrees or higher in the past 24 hours (without the use of fever-reducing medication)
- vomiting or diarrhea within the past 24 hours
- a new, undiagnosed rash
- symptoms of illness such as fatigue, cough, and difficulty breathing
- any symptoms of COVID-19:
- Fever (100.4 or higher): OR
- New onset and/or worsening cough; OR
- Difficulty breathing; OR
- New loss of taste or smell
- Sore throat
- Excessive fatigue
- Gastrointestinal symptoms of diarrhea, vomiting, or nausea
- New onset of severe headache
- New onset of nasal congestion or runny nose
- Feeling ill enough that they would not benefit from being at school
Contacting Parents and Guardians
If your child becomes ill at school and needs to go home, Health Services staff will attempt to contact the parent or guardian in the student’s Infinite Campus file.
- The emergency contact will be contacted if we feel your child needs to go home and we are unable to reach a parent or guardian.
- Your child will not be allowed to leave the school with anyone not listed in the student’s Infinite Campus file, or without contacting and verifying with an adult.
- In the event of a medical emergency, 911 will be called. The school will then attempt to make contact with the parent or guardian listed. Your child will be transported to a hospital if deemed necessary.
If your child has been diagnosed with a health condition that is contagious, please contact the school's health office to discuss when your child will be able to return to school.
Please refer to Infectious Diseases in Childcare Settings and Schools for more information on specific health conditions and exclusion guidelines for specific communicable conditions such as...
- strep throat
- fifth disease
Absences must be reported to the school to be considered an excused absence. Report your child's absence each day your child is ill by calling your school’s attendance line listed below. Please report your child’s name, teacher or grade and the reason for the absence. If your child is ill, report the symptoms and/or any diagnosed communicable condition.
If your child is absent and the school has not received notification of the absence, the school will attempt to send an automatic message to the contact entered through the parent portal.
Please contact the school Health Office prior to your child’s returning to school if there is any injury or illness that will require modifications to the school day.
If your child requires medication to be given at school upon their return, please follow the medication guidelines of your school.
School Attendance Lines
|Early Learning Services||952-681-6202|
|Hillcrest Community School||952-681-5302|
|Indian Mounds Elementary School||952-681-6002|
|Normandale Hills Elementary School||952-806-7002|
|Oak Grove Elementary School||952-681-6802|
|Olson Elementary School||952-806-8802|
|Poplar Bridge Elementary School||952-681-5402|
|Ridgeview Elementary School||952-806-7102|
|Valley View Elementary School||952-681-5702|
|Washburn Elementary School||952-681-5502|
|Westwood Elementary School||952-806-7202|
|Oak Grove Middle School||952-681-6602|
|Olson Middle School||952-806-8602|
|Valley View Middle School||952-681-5802|
|Jefferson High School||952-806-7602|
|Kennedy High School||952-681-5002|