Executive Director of Human Resources
- Staff and position control
- Salary placement, staffing, and position control
- Contract interpretation and seniority lists
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Health Saving Account (HSA), Dependent care flex spending FSA
- Life, Long-term Disability (LTD), Accident, and Critical Illnesses
- Retirements, resignations, COBRA
- Worker’s compensation and first report of injury
- Independent and Community Education Hourly
- Leaves of absence
- Family and Medical (FMLA)
- Care of Relatives
- Jury Duty
- Paraprofessional and Substitute Paraprofessionals
- Hiring process, job vacancies, and employment applications
- Community Education and Independent salaried, Health Service Associates, Food Service
- Temporary and Casual assignments including coaches
- Verification of employment
- Teachers and Principals
- Lane changes and loan forgiveness forms
- Reserve teachers, Clerks, and Custodial/Transportation
- Frontline help desk and training
Recording an Absence and Requesting a Sub
If you are going to be absent from work, enter the absence into Skyward first.
When putting the request into Skyward, check the box that has 'sub needed' next to it, and you will automatically be redirected to Absence Management to enter the sub request.
All employees are responsible for entering their own leave requests into Skyward and Absence Management. In order to subs to be paid, all time must be recorded in both Skyward and Absence Management.
Bloomington Federation of Teachers (BFT)
- 2021-23 Teacher Contract, including salary schedules, step and lane advancements, Schedule C stipends
- Q-Comp - MOU
- New Code Academy - MOU
Bloomington Federation of Paraprofessionals
- 2021-23 Paraprofessional Contract, including salary schedules and step advancements
Bloomington Principals' Association
- 2021-23 Principal Contract, including salary schedules and step advancements
Association of Bloomington Clerical
- 2021-23 Clerical Contract, including salary schedules and step advancements
- 2021-23 Custodial, Maintenance and Transportation Contract, including salary schedules, step advancements and Schedule C stipends
Food Service Association
- 2021-23 Food Services Contract, including salary schedules and step advancements
Health Services Associates
- 2021-23 Health Associates Contract, including salary schedules and step advancements
Compensation & Benefit Plans
If you have been offered a position with Bloomington Schools, you will be contacted by Human Resources to set up an appointment to complete the following:
- Form I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification: Federal law requires every employer hiring an individual for employment in the United States to verify his or her identity and employment authorization through completion of Form I-9.
- Background Check
- Benefit Enrollment Forms
- New Hire Videos
Please bring your social security card, driver's license or passport and a voided check to your appointment.
Reserve Teachers, Paraprofessionals and Food Service Staff
- Substitute Quick Start Guide for Absence Management (formerly Aesop)
- Absence Management login for substitutes:
- Absence Management Tips for Substitutes
This information is intended to support and assist our reserve teachers in preparing and carrying out their duties and responsibilities when teaching in our schools. We hope this information will assist you in making your reserve teaching experience as positive and productive as possible.
- Reserve Teacher Handbook
- 21-22 Reserve Teacher Pay Information and Pay Schedule
- To view paycheck information, clink on this link to Skyward
Human Resources Office
Prior approval for leave is required anytime you are absent from work except for personal illness, dependent child illness (or other relative as allowed by state law) less than 5 days.
Short-term leaves are now requested through Skyward and do not require a paper leave form. District approved leave typically includes child's school activity, graduation, bereavement and wedding and will require you to include a comment to provide more information before the leave can be approved.
District approved leave is at the discretion of the district and is not allowed for recreation, absence of personal choice or purposes that could be conducted outside the workday. District approved leave may be paid or unpaid. Log in to your Skyward account and record the time indicating the reason. Please allow at least three days for your supervisor and Human Resources to approve. You will receive an email back once the time has been approved.
For medical absences of more than four days, jury duty, year-long leaves, etc:
- Complete the leave request form.
- Complete and attach a doctor’s note if required or if submitting the on-line form send your doctor note directly to Human Resources.
- Give the form to your principal/supervisor to sign. Once approved the form will be forwarded to Human Resources for district approval.
- You will receive an email back once your leave request has been approved/denied.
Be sure to record the absence on Skyward and Aesop if you need a sub. If you are a teacher and the leave is for more than 30 days, your long-call will be hired through Human Resources and you will indicate no sub needed.
Required Forms - Medical related FMLA
Along with the District's Leave Request form, for medical related FMLA leaves staff should submit the appropriate Certification Form, found below, which is filled out by a physician and should be turned in with the District Leave Request form.
- Certification of Health Care Provider for Employee's Serious Health Condition - WH-380E
- Certification of Health Care Provider for Family Member's Serious Health Condition - WH-380F
All questions on leaves and FMLA leaves should be directed to Shannon Fabick at 952-681-6545 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Family and Medical Leave
Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) entitles eligible employees to take up to 12 weeks (60 days) of unpaid, job-protected leave in a 12 month period for specified family and medical reasons, including:
- your own serious health condition
- to care for your child after birth, or placement for adoption or foster care
- to care for your spouse, son, daughter, or parent who has a serious health condition
- because of a qualifying exigency arising out of the fact that your spouse, son, daughter or parent is on active duty or call to active duty status in support of a contingency operation as a member of the National Guard or Reserves
- because you are the spouse, son, daughter, parent or next of kin of a covered service member with a serious injury or illness.
Care of Relatives
State law has been expanded to include care of relatives. Employees may use up to 160 hours of available sick leave in a 12-month period for the illness or injury of your adult child, spouse, sibling, grandchild, parent, grandparent, step-parent, mother-in-law or father-in-law for reasonable periods of time as the employee's attendance may be necessary, on the same terms upon which the employee is able to use sick leave benefits for the employee's own illness.
Employee may use sick leave as allowed under this section for safety leave. Safety leave may be used for assistance to the employee or assistance to the relatives described above for the purpose of providing or receiving assistance because of sexual assault, domestic abuse or stalking.
This time should be recorded as "sick relative" in Skyward. A leave form will be required based on the same guidelines as for personal/dependent child illness. Check out this FAQ for more information.
Human Resources understands planning for a childbirth leave involves many variables. It may be helpful to have written information to some of the most common questions as you plan and discuss options with your family. In order to assist in planning for this type of leave, Human Resources has developed FAQs around childbirth leaves. This is a good starting place for general information to questions about FMLA, use of sick leave and pay.
*If adding your new baby to the District health insurance, you must complete a PreferredOne change form and submit to HR within 30 days of the birth of your baby.
Employees who are summoned for jury service will be paid their regular basic wages contingent upon remitting to the school district the compensation received for jury duty services. On days when jurors are dismissed from duty at an early hour, you will be expected to return to work for the balance of your workday.
If you are summoned for jury duty, please notify your supervisor immediately. Complete a leave of absence request form and submit it to your supervisor with a copy of your jury summons. You will receive a copy of your approved leave with reimbursement instructions once it has been approved by Human Resources.
Please be sure to record your absences in Skyward as jury duty.
Please contact Human Resources to obtain the appropriate form.
Welcome to Bloomington Public Schools! Our staff are our most important resource for providing learners with a high quality educational experience and supporting the many services our district offers. The Human Resources team looks forward to providing you with excellent service.
Educational Services Center - Room 501
Our office is in the Oak Grove Middle School building. Please enter through Door 5 from the west parking lot. We're in Room 501. Directions
Office of Human Resources
Bloomington Public Schools
Educational Services Center
1350 W. 106th Street
Bloomington, MN 55431
Title IX Coordinator & Human Rights Officer
The Bloomington Public Schools District takes Title IX and Human Rights complaints seriously. Board Policy 413: Harassment and Violence governs the process for addressing these complaints. While not required, individuals can make complaints using this form.
Executive Director of Human Resources
Title IX Coordinator/Human Rights Officer
The following employees of Bloomington Public Schools have attended training on the new Title IX updates: executive director of human resources, assistant superintendent, all school principals, and some leaders in community education and special education.