Eight Bloomington teachers among candidates for Minnesota Teacher of the Year
Eight Bloomington Public Schools teachers are nominated as candidates for the 2024 Minnesota Teacher of the Year program:
- Meredith Aby-Keirstead, Social Studies (Kennedy High School)
- Sarah Dallum, 5th Grade (Valley View Elementary)
- Jessica Hodgson, Family Consumer Science (Kennedy High School)
- Susan Maxey, Language Arts (Kennedy High School)
- Valerie Petersen, Early Childhood Special Education (Southwood Center)
- Jeremy Storelee, Social Studies (Oak Grove Middle School)
- Sophie Werner, Academic Behavioral Specialist (Jefferson High School)
- Kelly Yackel, Art (Kennedy High School / New Code Academy)
The Minnesota Teacher of the Year program is organized by Education Minnesota. The program is in its 60th year and is the oldest and most prestigious recognition program to honor excellence in education.
There are 159 candidates this year. Over the next few weeks, an independent panel of leaders in the fields of education, business, government, nonprofit and philanthropy will narrow the list to a group of semifinalists, followed by a group of finalists in March. The 2024 Minnesota Teacher of the Year will be named in May and serve as an advocate and spokesperson for teachers statewide.
Learn more about the distinguished honor at bit.ly/EduMN-toty.