The Business Services Department strives to provide the most cost-efficient and effective system possible to support and enhance the learning environment and the many operations of Bloomington Public Schools within our budget parameters.
- Payroll, including direct deposits, deductions, and withholding;
- Accounts payable including purchasing, purchase orders and purchase cards;
- Budgeting aligned with the strategic plan, which strives to provide sound fiscal management;
- Other finance services: contract review, petty cash, bank deposits, NSF and returned checks, tax exempt forms, property and liability insurance claims filing, processing of expense and mileage reimbursement forms.
Educational Services Center
1350 W. 106th St.
Bloomington, MN 55431
952-681-6435 - fax
- Checks are cut on the day prior to the paycheck date, usually the 5th and 20th of each month unless it follows on a holiday or weekend.
- P-Card transaction envelopes are due weekly. P-Card cycles end on the 27th of each month.
- Check request forms must be received by the Business Services Office by the due date at 4 p.m. in order to receive your checks.
- Please remember to include backup documentation for all check requests. If the back-up documentation that you are providing needs to be sent along with the check, please provide a second photo copy to keep on file for auditing purposes.
- All check requests must have a budget code and be signed by a supervisor/principal.
Use the expense transfer form to make a request to transfer funds from one account to another.
- If at all possible, purchase orders should be used when placing orders.
- All purchase orders will indicate a ship to and bill to address and must be signed in order to be valid.
- If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at 952-681-6424.
- For security purposes, the district cannot post our tax exempt certificate online.
- Please contact us at 952-681-6421 to request a tax exempt certificate.
- Independent contractors and other people who work for themselves need to report their social security number or business tax ID number to the district by filling out a W-9 form.
- The district is required by law to submit 1099 forms to report self-employment income.
- W-9s are requested from all new vendors to determine whether or not 1099 forms will need to be provided to the IRS.
The Business Services Office oversees the Business Office, Buildings and Grounds, Food Services, and Transportation departments. The controller, accountant, revenue accountant, accounts payable, and payroll, are all part of the Business Services Office and are located in the Educational Services Center Room 505, 1350 W. 106th St., Bloomington.
Payments for referees and athletic officials for middle and high school games and meets are processed by the Business Office each week.
- School Board elections are held every two years with either three or four members up for re-election on alternating years. Terms are four years.
- Contact Deputy Elections Clerk Jennifer Hazel at 952-681-6421 or email@example.com for information about filing for office.
Expense Reports and Mileage Reimbursement
- Effective Jan. 1, 2022, the mileage reimbursement is 58.5 cents per mile per IRS guidelines.
- Employee expense reports and mileage reports are paid twice per month.
- You will be reimbursed by direct deposit into your bank account.
- Please make sure your reports are signed by your supervisor and include a budget code.
- We can only accept original receipts and cannot reimburse for sales tax.
Gifts and Donations
- The district acknowledges monetary gifts and donations of materials and supplies to schools and programs. The gifts and donations are reported to the school board and a summary is scrolled at the end of each school board meeting.
- Petty cash and change funds are available on a limited basis to programs which have the frequent need for small expenditures.
- There are restrictions on these funds and guidelines for use.
If a student or visitor is injured at a school location, or if school property is damaged, please contact the Business Office for assistance reporting and filing an insurance claim and for more information regarding the parameters of the claims process.
- PayTek Solutions processes all returned checks for the school district.
- Staff may direct parents or writers of bad checks to PayTek at 1-800-641-9998.
- Schools may not accept a replacement check for a returned check, the writer of the check(s) must work directly with PayTek.
- Pay dates are the 5th and 20th of each month. If the 5th or 20th falls on a weekend, staff are paid the Friday before.
- Paychecks are directly deposited at the financial institution of your choice. Please use the payroll direct deposit request form (Forms A-Z) to designate where you want your paycheck deposited.
- New employees’ first check will be a live check. Payroll will send an access key and directions for myView with the first check. With any changes to your direct deposit, you will have a live check for the next pay period.
Use the W-4 Form IRS form to make changes to your payroll withholding.
- Time sheets submitted the 1st through the 15th will be paid on the 5th of the following month.
- Time sheets submitted the 16th through the 31st will be paid on the 20th of the following month.
- Please note that, if you download a timesheet, you still need your supervisor's signature.
The General Fund budget is used to account for revenues and expenditures relating to the general operation of the school District. The General Fund accounts for such things as K-12 instructional programs, Special Education, utilities, insurance, building maintenance and supplies and materials. Operating assumptions for the General Fund include enrollment decline, Strategic Plan implementation and continued excellence in educational programming. The fund balance is an accumulated savings to cover unforeseen and critical expenses and to eliminate the need for short-term borrowing. The District's fund balance is sufficient to cover cash flow needs.
Business Office Staff
|Laurie Henning-Johnson||Administrative Assistantfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Colleen Thornburg||Budgeting/Accounting Clerkemail@example.com|
|Sue Weber||Payroll Clerk (last name A-L)||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Alison Blessing||Payroll Clerk (last name M-Z)||email@example.com|
|Johnetta Jones||Accounts Payable (A-L)||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Pattie Weiss||Accounts Payable (M-Z)||email@example.com|
|Jenny Evans||Assistant Controllerfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Jennifer Hazel||Purchasing and Finance Coordinatoremail@example.com|
|Rod Zivkovich||Executive Director of Finance & Support Servicesfirstname.lastname@example.org|